Paul Ryan is the founding partner of Ryan Commercial Lawyers. Paul has for a number of years acted for property and hospitality clients in a wide range of matters.
Until the end of 2002, Paul was the National Practice Group Leader of the Property and Infrastructure Group and head of the National Liquor Group at national firm Corrs Chambers Westgarth. Paul was later a Partner of Ryan Maloney Anderson before Ryan Commercial Lawyers was established.
Paul is officially accredited as an AFL Player Manager by the AFL Players Association. Paul is a former owner of the George Public Bar in Fitzroy Street, St Kilda.
Paul is experienced in all aspects of liquor licensing law. He represents and has represented major hotel groups, hoteliers, brewers, resort operators, packaged liquor outlets, clubs, supermarkets, wineries, nightclub owners, restaurateurs and industry bodies.
Paul has experience in all States and Territories through his role as a National Licensing Lawyer for National clients including Compass Group, AMF Bowling Centres, Accor Asia Pacific (including the Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure and Ibis brands) and Fosters Brewing Group.
Paul also handles residential and commercial property and contractual matters, retail and commercial leasing, town planning and sports law.
- Ryan Commercial Lawyers acted for over 50 Licensees which successfully obtained a stay of the 2am lockout Declaration at VCAT.
- Liquor licence applications for major hotel developments including the ALH Tavern at the Queen Victoria Development, Stamford Plaza Melbourne, the Novotel at Glen Waverley and the Duxton Hotel (now Rendezvous), Melbourne.
- Pelican Waters development at Caloundra.
- Obtaining Liquor Licence at Sydney Airport for Compass Group.
- Obtaining Liquor Licence at Melbourne Airport, International Terminal for Accor Asia Pacific at the Qantas First Class Lounge.
- Representing ALH/CUB/Foster’s in relation to liquor licensing and gaming matters generally and sales and purchases of hotels by ALH Group Pty Ltd and the drafting of the Liquor Licensing and Gaming aspects of the Fosters Compliance Manual.
- Regularly involved in hearings before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) relating to applications for new liquor licences and variations to existing licences.
- Liquor Licensing, Property and Management Agreements for Accor Asia Pacific.
- Major contested proceedings and disciplinary proceedings before the Liquor Licensing Authority, VCAT and the Supreme Court.
- Negotiation and drafting of the Memorandums of Understanding between Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers Association.
Oliver Oostermeyer is a Senior Associate with Ryan Commercial Lawyers. Oliver completed his Bachelor of Laws at Monash University in 2004 and was admitted to practice in November 2005. Oliver is also a passionate sportsman having played high level hockey and cricket and brings this passion to the practice of Commercial Law.
Tim O'Meara is a Senior Associate with Ryan Commercial Lawyers having been admitted to practice in April 2008. Tim commenced his Articles of Clerkship with the firm in March 2007 after successfully completing his Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts in 2006. Tim is also a keen sportsman and currently plays football for the Old Xaverians Football Club.
Melanie Harper, Senior Associate, graduated with a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in 2005, and was admitted to the Supreme Court of Victoria as a Barrister and Solicitor in 2006. She completed her articles with a suburban law firm located in Chelsea, where she gained experience in numerous areas of law including Wills and Estates, Property, Commercial and Family Law.
Prior to joining Ryan Commercial Lawyers, Melanie worked for Oakley Thompson & Co. Solicitors in the CBD, where she specialised in the area of Wills and Estates.
Contact Ryan Commercial Lawyers